Sunday, March 25, 2012

I'm 23 going on 24.
And I want to rewrite the childhood of that 23-year-old girl I saw in consultation last last week.
I want her to be carefree and not worry about the strange man that came into her bedroom some nights.
I wish she didn't have drugs and hatred and yearning and loneliness and attempted suicide and an older boyfriend in her system.
I want to shake her by the shoulders and say, 'Sort yourself out. Go to rehab. Don't use pregnancy and a new baby as a life- and existence-affirming tool. Don't you want your child to have a life that is the exact opposite of yours?'
Children can't choose their families, they can't choose to be born into affluence or poverty or love or hatred.
The world is sometimes cruel enough.
Don't condemn them to an even worse existence.

And that's my spiel for the week.
And yes, I need superpowers to do all that.

Sometimes, medicine is a tad too taxing and personal.
No, scratch that.
It's not medicine.
It's people.

No comments:


Free Counters